This article covers the SPF and DKIM authentication processes for Drift and how they are managed in Valimail Enforce. While only one of the two authentication methods is required for an email to pass DMARC, our recommendation is to configure both whenever possible.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Configuring DKIM authentication for your Drift emails
- Add a Drift DKIM key in Enforce
- Configuring SPF authentication for your Drift emails
Configuring DKIM authentication for your Drift emails
Note: You can only have one domain per drift instance.
To ensure that emails sent by Drift on your behalf such as Fallback emails and meeting reminders don't get marked as spam or junk you should authenticate those emails with DKIM.
1. To begin doing that, navigate into your Settings -> App Settings -> Conversations -> Email Sending Domains.
2. Click on Add Domain.
Note: We recommend that you setup a 2048 bit key.
3. Enter an example email address from the whitelabel domain that you want to add, and select an encryption level. 1024-bit is the default and recommended unless your IT team requires otherwise.
Then you'll see Successfully created sending domain after you hit Save. But you're not quite done! Above where you added the domain, you should now see that your domain needs verification:
4. Click the Needs Verification >. This will then give you a list of DNS entries that you will need in order to set up authentication.
5. Use this information to add the DKIM key on your domain's Configuration page in Valimail Enforce. It will look something like the following:
6. After your DKIM key is added in Valimail Enforce, return to Drift and click Verify.
Now, your domain should read as being Verified, and the TXT record should have a Verified status:
You can also find the instructions on how to set up DKIM and SPF for Drift, here.
Add a Drift DKIM key in Enforce
1. Go to your domain's Configuration page in Valimail Enforce and publish the newly created DKIM key.
a. Scroll down and add the DKIM key in your configuration, by clicking on Add a DKIM key.
b. Enter the selector name, the DKIM TXT value (the actual value is the entire string after the p= tag), associate the key with Drift and then click Add.
You can find more detailed information on how to add a DKIM key in Valimail Enforce here.
Configuring SPF authentication for your Drift emails
Once you establish that Drift is an authorized sender for your domain, you will need to add the service in your Enabled Senders list in Enforce.
1. Please go to your domain's Configuration page in Enforce.
2. Click on the + sign from the Enabled Senders section:
3. Choose Drift from the list of configurable senders and then click Enable:
We encourage you to use the comment section for any useful information about your sending service, such as the name of the service owner, change request ticket numbers, etc.
As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to submit a ticket.