SPF(not supported) DKIM(recommended)
This article covers the DKIM authentication processes for iContact and how is that managed in Valimail Enforce. While only one of the two authentication methods is required for an email to pass DMARC, our recommendation is to configure both whenever possible.
iContact does not send SPF aligned emails by default, so DKIM is the best option to configure this service.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Configuring DKIM authentication for your iContact emails
- Add an iContact DKIM key in Enforce
- Configuring SPF authentication for your iContact emails
Configuring DKIM authentication for your iContact emails
1. Login to your domain hosting account. (i.e.; GoDaddy, Wix, Network Solutions, etc.)
2. Locate the Domain DNS settings. (if you are not familiar with editing your domain DNS - we recommend requesting help from your domain hosting provider)
3. Enter the CNAME records specified below.
POINTS TO: k1.dkim.icontact.com
POINTS TO: k2.dkim.icontact.com
Note: If you want to manage these DKIM keys in Valimail, you will need to add them in Valimail Enforce.
4. Confirm the CNAME is set up correctly.
- Go here.
- Scroll down to the section for DKIM.
- Check for "icontact.k1" and "icontact.k2" for your domain. You will have to do each individually. See the example below for icontact.k1:
- When you click Check, if it is green, then it is set up. If it is red, then it is not set up correctly.
5. Contact iContact support. You must contact Support or your Account Advisor and advise you have performed the above DKIM steps and request that we turn on custom DKIM for your account. Do not skip this step as it can affect future sends.
6. Wait for domain to update. The recommended time to wait for the change to be active for each record is 1 hour.
7. Send a test message. Check the email headers to confirm that DKIM specifies your domain.
You can also find the instructions on how to set up DKIM for iContact here.
Add an iContact DKIM key in Enforce
1. Go to your domain's Configuration page in Valimail Enforce and publish the newly created DKIM key.
a. Scroll down and add the two DKIM keys in your configuration, by clicking on Add a DKIM key.
b. Enter the selector name, CNAME target value, associate the keys with iContact and then click Add.
You can find more detailed information on how to add a DKIM key in Valimail Enforce here.
Configuring SPF authentication for your iContact emails
Once you establish that iContact is an authorized sender for your domain, you will need to add the service in your Enabled Senders list in Enforce.
1. Please go to your domain's Configuration page in Enforce.
2. Click on the + sign from the Enabled Senders section:
3. Choose iContact from the list of configurable senders and then click Enable:
We encourage you to use the comment section for any useful information about your sending service, such as the name of the service owner, change request ticket numbers, etc.
As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to submit a ticket.