SPF(supported) / (dedicated subdomain) DKIM(recommended)
This article covers the SPF and DKIM authentication processes for ClickDimensions and how they are managed in Valimail Enforce. While only one of the two authentication methods is required for an email to pass DMARC, our recommendation is to configure both whenever possible.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Configuring DKIM authentication for your ClickDimensions emails
- Add a ClickDimensions DKIM key in Enforce
- Configuring SPF authentication for your ClickDimensions emails
Configuring DKIM authentication for your ClickDimensions emails
1. To set up DKIM for your domain in ClickDimenstions, you will first need to navigate to the ClickDimensions Settings page and select the Email Sending Domains option:
2. This will open the Email Sending Domains area where you can add, edit, and delete your email domains as well as check on their status:
3. If you create a new Email Domain, then you will see the following screen:
- Domain: This is the main domain that you would like to send from. For example: yourcompany.com.
- DKIM Sub Domain: This is sub domain that you would like to use when sending. Please note that this is only the sub-part of the domain. For instance, if your full sub-domain was "email.yourcompany.com", then you would only enter "email" into this field.
- Email CNAME: This is an optional field that will allow you to set a CNAME for this domain. For more details about setting up Email CNAMEs, please see our article here.
- Contact Email: This is the email address that we will contact if there are issues when authenticating the domain.
4. After entering these details and saving, the window will expand to show the DNS records that will need to be setup in your Domain's DNS zone settings. After setting up the DNS records for the domain, the Export to Text File will allow you to export your DNS records for that domain to a .text file to double check them or share them within your organization.
Important: If you manage DKIM for this domain in Valimail, you will need to add the TXT DKIM key on your domain's Configuration page in Valimail.
5. You will also have a Verify button at the button of the window that will check these fields and ensure that a DNS record exists and that it has content. You will need to use this Verify button to manually verify your DNS records after you have set them up with your DNS host.
Once your records are able to be verified, they will need to go through their Change Management process and may take up to a week for the domains to be properly setup and activated.
You can also find the instructions on how to set up DKIM and SPF for ClickDimensions, here.
Add a ClickDimensions DKIM key in Enforce
1. Go to your domain's Configuration page in Valimail Enforce and publish the newly created DKIM key.
a. Scroll down and add the DKIM key in your configuration, by clicking on Add a DKIM key.
b. Enter the selector name, the DKIM TXT value (the actual value is the entire string after the p= tag), associate the key with ClickDimensions and then click Add.
You can find more detailed information on how to add a DKIM key in Valimail Enforce here.
Configuring SPF authentication for your ClickDimensions emails
Once you establish that ClickDimensions is an authorized sender for your domain, you will need to add the service in your Enabled Senders list in Enforce.
1. Please go to your domain's Configuration page in Enforce.
2. Click on the + sign from the Enabled Senders section:
3. Choose ClickDimensions from the list of configurable senders and then click Enable:
We encourage you to use the comment section for any useful information about your sending service, such as the name of the service owner, change request ticket numbers, etc.
As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to submit a ticket.